Consumer Collection Agency Debt Collector Job Descriptions
Below are actual job descriptions for debt collectors posted by retail collection agencies that collect from individual consumers.
JOB DESCRIPTION 1
Collection agency seeks Debt Collector. As a professional debt collector you will complete our two week professional debt collector training. You will successfully complete and become a certified professional debt collector by the ACA International.
Base Salary = 20k-30k per year plus excellent commission plan!! Earn 40-75k per year.
You will be charged with skip tracing, negotiating and hitting recovery goals while working with delinquent customers of our clients.
We provide a professional environment, great pay structure and plenty of new accounts to work! You provide the determination and professional attitude. Medical and Dental, retirement plan, vacation, paid holidays.
Hours vary – M-F, permanent full time.
- Must have collection or telemarketing experience = 1 year+.
- HS Graduate or equivalent.
- Problem Solving Skills.
- Demonstrable Communication Skills.
- Self Motivated.
- Ability to Successfully Complete ACA Professional Debt Collector Certification.
- Background Check Required.
JOB DESCRIPTION 2
- Utilize various skip tracing techniques and collection strategies (often designed by employee) to locate right parties in order to negotiate payment arrangements on high collectibility or value accounts.
- Negotiate payment terms and methods when right party is reached. The process often requires reviewing the account information in database, and/or asking probing questions of the consumer in order to better understand potential objections to payment.
- Overcome stalls and objections & suggest money sources for debt payment.
- Utilize payment options (credit cards, direct checks) and secure this information so that administrative services can process.
- Negotiate settlements outside of normal guidelines, authorize credit bureaus deletions, negotiate payment arrangements over a longer span of time than normal, take accounts out of treatment (close accounts) within certain guidelines.
- May advise management regarding collection strategy effectiveness for various portfolios.
- May help resolve higher level disputes.
- Take escalated calls from level I and II collectors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Any Degree
- Previous experience in customer service, sales, collections, or a related role is preferred
- Ability to communicate clearly and succinctly, utilizing proper grammar and telephone etiquette is preferred
- Computer literate a MUST
- Ability to compute basic math calculations using addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages is preferred
- Employee has contact with individuals within their department and extensive external contact with consumers
- Employee works in an office environment. Employee sits at a desk during regularly scheduled work hours; answers and makes telephone calls using a
standard telephone; types on a standard keyboard; reads and comprehends information from a computer terminal and/or written resources.
- Employee has contact with individuals within their department and extensive external contact with consumers.
- Employee works in an office environment. Employee sits at a desk during regularly scheduled work hours; answers and makes telephone calls using a standard telephone; types on a standard keyboard; reads and comprehends information from a computer terminal and/or written resources.
JOB DESCRIPTION 3
The Debt Collector is responsible for collecting on charge-off accounts by making and receiving calls, and utilizing company’s eight steps to a successful collection call. In addition to making and receiving calls, this individual must perform skip-tracing techniques and must document accounts accordingly. The Debt Collector will prepare notifications to secure payment; explain penalties, interest, deadlines, and consequences for failure to comply. The Debt Collector will also obtain and evaluate financial information for the purpose of negotiating payment of balance in full, settlement and/or payment plan.
- Knowledge of FDCPA standards and state laws.
- Ability to negotiate while maintaining a manner which shows sensitivity, tact, and professionalism.
- Make outbound and receive inbound calls and consistently follow company’s collection call model and techniques.
- Ability to perform basic skip-tracing tasks which include following company’s skip-tracing matrix in order to make contact with our customer.
- Consistently and accurately document all information pertaining to accounts.
- Make recommendations to litigate while following all state and FDCPA standards and federal regulations regarding collections procedures.
- Use basic business math to solve problems.
- Speak clearly, concisely and effectively; listen to, and understand information and ideas as presented verbally.
- Read, interpret and apply laws, rules, regulations, policies and/or procedures.
- Follow written and/or verbal instructions.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team oriented environment.
- Ability to change quickly with the needs of a growing company.
- Process check-by-phone and/or ACH requests accurately.
- Ability to multi-task by speaking with customers and typing notes simultaneously.
- Meet monthly individual goals as set by the Department Manager.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- The ideal candidate must have a minimum 2 years post charge off recovery experience in sub-prime recovery collections.
- Dialer experience a plus.
- Must be able to maintain composure with difficult or irate customers.
- Promote a positive work environment.
- Basic computer skills required: Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Must be detailed oriented.
- Must be able to maintain a regular 8-hour shift in addition to mandatory Saturdays required based on business needs, and month end 12-hour mandatory shifts (shifts and days may vary) no exceptions.
JOB DESCRIPTION 4
- Our Debt Collectors are self-motivated, reliable negotiation experts who care for our customers as well as our company. They are responsible for contacting our customers who are between one and six months past due on their credit card accounts and securing payment arrangements.
- As a critical and essential part of the job, Debt Collectors must be adaptable, assertive, dependable and persistent in order to successfully negotiate payment arrangements on a file of delinquent accounts. Payment arrangements are achieved through a combination of manual dialing, skip tracing, and automated dialer work.
- Debt Collectors are responsible for securing payment arrangements with customers by phone and bringing delinquent accounts current. They are required to meet established goals including balances saved, pay-by-phones collected and call quality. Debt Collectors are eligible to earn incentives based on excellent job performance.
- In addition, our Debt Collectors must maintain adherence to the law and outstanding attendance at all times.
- Schedule Requirements:
Full time 40 hour work week, 1 late night until 9PM, 1 late night until 10PM to start, also 24 hours of weekend hours per month required. Flexible schedules based on performance.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment where changes to procedures are common
- Previous collections and/or sales experience
- Excellent verbal communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to communicate in a respectful and assertive manner
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize while speaking with customers
- Proven decision making ability
- Stable work history
- Basic reading and math skills
- Good organizational skills
- Proficient in MS Windows/Outlook; ability to type 25 words per minute
- Ability to input and interpret data
- Call center experience preferred
- This is a call center position. It is imperative that you be comfortable sitting for most of an 8 hours shift.
Our company offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive selection of benefit options including 401(K) and employee stock purchase plan.
JOB DESCRIPTION 5
We are looking for dependable and enthusiastic people interested in building a career with our great company. In addition to a competitive salary and uncapped bonus potential, our company offers comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, and in addition to paid holidays, offers 19 paid days off annually. We also offer life insurance, long and short term disability, and employee assistance program as well as a tuition assistance program.
The Debt Collector is responsible for locating customers and securing payment of charged-off accounts and qualifying accounts for legal review.
- Understand and demonstrate the principles of the Company’s Mission, Vision and Values.
- Contact customers via outbound/inbound phone calls and other means of communication by using the company’s call model to secure balance of debt by negotiating payment terms and methods.
- Utilize various means of skip tracing to locate customers.
- Record and update full and complete account information to aid in account resolution.
- Adhere to FDCPA and state and federal laws and regulations.
- Perform various Account Representative administrative duties.
- Comply with policies and procedures as required.
- Successfully complete company’s training and certifications.
- Achieve required score on FDCPA test.
- Maintain productivity measures put in place to monitor dollars collected or Debt Collector effectiveness.
- Maintain Debt Collector established performance standards.
- Practice Debt Collector required behaviors.
- High School Diploma or equivalency required.
- Collections experience preferred.
- Ability to read, write and speak fluent English.
- Strong written, verbal, active listening and phone communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and in a professional manner.
- Ability to negotiate (i.e. ability to use full and complete information to negotiate best arrangement).
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Detailed oriented.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and multi-task.
- Basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages).
- Ability to use standard office equipment. Basic computer skills, ability to use a keyboard and calculator.
- Basic technical phone skills.
- Basic ability to use internet and web mail for business purposes.
- Ability to refer to policy and procedures when applying information and making decisions.
- Required to work two or more late shifts per week based on Company needs.
- Plus one late Friday shift per month.
- Required to work one Saturday per month.
- Required to work extended hours the last day of each month.
JOB DESCRIPTION 6
- Collection of delinquent accounts.
- High volume inbound and outbound phone calls.
- Following all required FDCPA and HIPAA regulations and system procedures.
- Maintain a working knowledge of client policies and procedures.
- Maintain acceptable call quality as determined by Management staff.
- 1 year High Volume Collections experience (preferred) and/or telemarketing, sales, call center environment.
- Strong attention to detail, goal oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communication abilities.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities.
- Reliable attendance; punctuality.
- Hours: M,W, Th – 8:30am- 5:30 pm
Tu- 10:00 am – 7:00 pm
Fri- 8:0am- 5:00 pm
JOB DESCRIPTION 7
Our company is an industry leader in providing business process outsourcing services including accounts receivable management, customer relationship management and back office services for a diversified customer base. Our clients are empowered to successfully address immediate business needs, while empowering long-term growth across the entire customer lifecycle.
- Communicate with clients/customers by telephone and/or written correspondence to attempt to bring resolution to unpaid accounts.
- Supply thorough customer service, maintain positive client/customer relations, and work efficiently in the name of the client.
- Provide thorough, efficient, and accurate updates on computer files for each call made.
- When requested, process all correspondences with adherence with pertinent legislation guidelines where applicable.
- Knowledge, understanding, and compliance with all applicable Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations that regulate the collection industry.
- Knowledge, understanding, and compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Maintain knowledge of functional area and company policies and procedures.
- Provide feedback to management concerning possible problems or areas of improvement.
- Make recommendations to implement improved processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- High School Diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate.
- Previous customer service and collection experience preferred.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
- Proficient personal computer skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team fostered environment.
- Ability to work in a multi-tasked environment.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work.
- Ability to adapt to a flexible schedule.
JOB DESCRIPTION 8
- Contact customers who are delinquent in the repayment of bills and obtain payments, commitment agreements or establish a repayment plan.
- Follows set policies and procedures when determining suitable collection solutions.
- Use understanding and ability to deal with debtor to obtain a suitable collection solution.
- Be outgoing and aggressive while at the same time maintaining a polite attitude.
- Seek positive results from every phone call.
- Perform skip-tracing through the company’s collection system and internet vendors.
- Thorough understanding of the FDCPA and all individual state guidelines for collections through initial and ongoing training.
- Know and understand the basics of rebilling as a means to resolve unpaid debts.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Strong communication skills and negotiating techniques.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with a heavy work load.
- Must have intermediate MS Office skills
JOB DESCRIPTION 9
Our company is currently looking to hire full-time and/or part-time Debt Collectors. We are looking for individuals who are motivated and can work in a fast paced environment.
- As a Debt Collector at our company, you will be responsible for negotiating acceptable settlements and payment plans with consumers through phone calls and letters.
- You will follow a standard operating procedure and be expected to act professionally on the phone.
- u will be in contact with a wide range of consumers each with a unique situation.
- You will be empathetic to the consumer¦s situation ensuring a good experience with a win, win resolution.
- Focus on call quality, FDCPA adherence, call flow, and good customer experience.
- Make outbound telephone calls.
- Receive inbound telephone calls.
- Provide accurate account updates on computer files for each call made or received.
- Must be money motivated.
- Customer contact experience.
- Good communication skills.
JOB DESCRIPTION 10
Our company is looking for dynamic professionals that are self-motivated, trustworthy and can quickly adapt to change in a fast-paced environment. Qualified candidates will support and promote a positive work atmosphere. Teamwork is essential to our success and we are looking for individuals that demonstrate caring, compassion and ability to get along with others.
- Make outbound and receive inbound calls via an Auto Dialer or manual calling to gather or clarify information.
- Accurately document all information pertaining to accounts.
- Prepare and/or process documents; review for accuracy and completeness; update information and/or evaluate against policy; compare elements for consistency or logical relationship, etc.
- Perform investigative activities to evaluate and determine the whereabouts of customers through database searches and system records (Skip-Tracing).
- Receive research and respond to incoming questions; provide information, explain policies and procedures, and/or facilitate a resolution.
- Review, process and verify accounts and account balances.
- Read, interpret and apply federal, state and local collection laws, rules, regulations and company policies and procedures.
- Interact with internal and external customers in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact and professionalism.
- Ability to negotiate with customers.
- Conduct every call according to the call model.
- Possess investigative techniques and processes to identify the true reason for delinquency to aid in one call resolution.
- Use basic math to solve problems.
- Communicate clearly, concisely and effectively both verbally and written.
- Listen to and understand information and ideas as presented both verbally and written.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in unsecured or sub-prime debt collections is preferred.
- Must have Skip-Tracing experience.
- Bi-lingual is a plus.
- Must be able to maintain a regular 8-hour shift Monday-Friday and one 10-hour shift, in addition to 2-3 weekend days per month, and a mandatory 12-hour shift on the last day of the month.
Back to Debt Collector Job Descriptions