Below are actual job descriptions posted by companies that need collection help with their individual consumer customers.
JOB DESCRIPTION 1
The Debt Collector collects on designated high risk delinquent accounts, maintains good customer relations with borrowers and effectively solves problems in an effort to resolve account delinquency and prevent losses.
- While adhering to company policies and procedures, demonstrates good customer service skills while initiating outbound calls and receiving inbound calls from customers.
- Negotiates account resolution and accurately inputs and documents actions within the collection systems while maintaining company performance and productivity standards.
- Maintains up-to-date customer contact information in the collections systems.
- May be required to support other queues to facilitate teamwork in the department.
- Escalates and assists other team members with calls as needed.
- Serves as a resource/subject matter expert and may provide training to fellow team members
- May be required to initiate external contact with customers and may perform advanced loss prevention activities (i.e. skip tracing, field chasing, account settlement) or administrative work.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3+ years experience in a direct customer contact, service, collections or sales environment.
- Ability to work independently and maintain accuracy.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Previous collections experience.
- Experience in any position where you had to demonstrate excellent negotiation skills.
JOB DESCRIPTION 2
The Debt Collector is responsible for locating customers and securing payment of charged-off accounts and qualifying accounts for legal review.
- Understand and demonstrate the principles of the Company’s Mission, Vision and Values.
- Contact customers via outbound/inbound phone calls and other means of communication to secure balance of debt by negotiating payment terms and methods.
- Utilize various means of skip tracing to locate customers.
- Record and update full and complete account information to aid in account resolution.
- Adhere to FDCPA and state and federal laws and regulations.
- Perform various Debt Collector administrative duties.
- Comply with policies and procedures as required.
- Successfully complete training and certifications.
- Achieve required score on FDCPA test.
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalency required.
- Collections experience preferred.
- Ability to read, write and speak fluent English.
- Strong written, verbal, active listening and phone communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and in a professional manner.
- Ability to negotiate (i.e. ability to use full and complete information to negotiate best arrangement).
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Detailed oriented.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and multi-task.
- Basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages).
- Ability to use standard office equipment. Basic computer skills, ability to use a keyboard and calculator.
- Basic technical phone skills.
- Basic ability to use internet and web mail for business purposes.
- Ability to refer to policy and procedures when applying information and making decisions.
JOB DESCRIPTION 3
If you’re a true professional and are looking for unlimited earning potential, we are the place! We offer:
- Multiple portfolios: credit cards, lines & loans, auto, student loans – plus others.
- Salary plus aggressive bonus structure and uncapped commissions.
- Paid training.
- Full benefits package.
- 401K with employer contribution.
- Contact debtors by telephone regarding collection and recovery of outstanding accounts.
- Perform skip tracing to contact the debtor.
- Negotiate re-payment with debtors by form of payment in full, settlements and / or payment arrangements.
- Follow up on promise to pay and payment commitment accounts to ensure a positive resolution and client satisfaction.
- Meet monthly collection goals as assigned by management.
- Knowledge of the FDCPA and industry practices.
- Money motivated.
- Persistent and assertive with a competitive nature.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Goal orientated.
- Detail orientated.
- Ability to think quickly.
- Ability to meet department attendance standards.
- Strong work ethic.
JOB DESCRIPTION 4
- Consistently, efficiently, and lawfully contact consumers and collect on and manage a route of deficiency balance accounts.
- Professionally and respectfully persuade consumers to pay in an effort to set up payment arrangements and settlements on deficiency balance accounts while aiding in resolving negative credit history reporting for our consumers.
- Ensure the information we depend on to contact and collect from these consumers is accurately maintained.
- Support additional consumer service requests.
- Handle Phone Calls. You will spend up to 75% of your time signed on to our dialer to handle consumer phone calls and negotiate payment or settlement arrangements.
- You will use our call model to handle each call in a manner that meets or exceeds our call quality and compliant expectations.
- You will persuade customers to resolve their accounts within the payment and settlement criteria for Internal Collections. Update Contact Information. While speaking with consumers you will work to identify additional contact information.
- You will need to remain compliant with our policies, processes and legal guidelines.
- You will need to be open to ongoing feedback aimed at improving performance.
- Maintain a positive attitude by focusing on solutions and promoting a collaborative and enjoyable environment.
- Value teamwork, share successes, appreciates others and communicates in a way that promotes trust.
- Make timely well considered decisions, create innovative solutions and continuously learn.
- Communicate clearly and objectively; do not be afraid of difficult conversations. Raise concerns through the proper channels.
- Be honest, sincere and consistent. Work hard and pursue our goals together relentlessly.
- High school diploma.
- Experience in any position where you had to demonstrate excellent persuasive and negotiation skills.
- Previous customer service and/or collection experience in a call center environment preferred.
- Experience in our industry preferred.
JOB DESCRIPTION 5
Collect post default private loans in order to recover assets. Negotiate short term balance exhausting payment plans/settlements via outbound dialing campaigns with minimal inbound calls. Perform skip trace as required. Accounts will be dialed manually.
- Commit to Performance Based Organized (PBO) philosophy.
- Contribute to Continuous Process Improvement (CPI).
- Contact borrowers via outbound dialing, mail correspondence, and e-mail to establish satisfactory payment arrangements on defaulted private student loans.
- Determine the most appropriate plan of action to resolve defaulted loans (payment plans, SIF, PIF, Legal options).
- Actively perform skip tracing activities through various sources/tools in order to locate defaulted borrowers.
- Provide pertinent account information and history information in order to educate the debtors as to the seriousness of the issue at hand.
- Update the servicing system with valid demographic and other information.
- Perform additional collection activities as required.
- High school degree or equivalent required.
- 2 years collections experience (preferably consumer).
- Customer focused.
- Analytical skills.
- Strong oral communication.
- Listening comprehension.
- Reading comprehension.
- Intermediate math.
- Attention to detail.
- Customer service orientation.
- PC skills.
- 10 key proficient.
JOB DESCRIPTION 6
Our debt collectors are self-motivated, reliable negotiation experts who care for our customers as well as our company. They are responsible for contacting our customers who are between one and six months past due on their credit card accounts and securing payment arrangements.
- These individuals are responsible for securing payment arrangements with customers by phone and bringing delinquent accounts current.
- They are required to meet established goals including balances saved, pay-by-phones collected and call quality.
- Debt Collectors are eligible to earn incentive based on excellent job performance.
- In addition, our Debt Collectors must maintain adherence to the law and outstanding attendance at all times.
- As a critical and essential part of their job, Debt Collectors must be adaptable, assertive, dependable and persistent in order to successfully negotiate payment arrangements on a file of delinquent accounts.
- Payment arrangements are achieved through a combination of manual dialing, skip tracing, and automated dialer work.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment where changes to procedures are common.
- Previous collections and/or sales experience.
- Excellent verbal communication and negotiation skills.
- Ability to communicate in a respectful and assertive manner.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize while speaking with customers.
- Proven decision making ability.
- Stable work history.
- Basic reading and math skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Proficient in MS Windows/Outlook; ability to type 25 words per minute.
- Ability to input and interpret data.
- Call center experience preferred.
- This is a call center position. It is imperative that you be comfortable sitting for most of an 8 hours shift.
JOB DESCRIPTION 7
- Provide consistent follow up on delinquent accounts ranging from 11-90 + days delinquent.
- Outbound and Inbound collection and customer service calls.
- Provide delinquency “work out” plans with the ultimate goal being to bring the delinquent account current in the fastest, most efficient manner possible.
- Effectively communicate with customers and management on a daily basis.
- Analyze and solve problems on a daily basis.
- Thoroughly work a minimum of 10 to 15 accounts per hour.
- Candidate should be energetic, flexible, empathetic, and must have a positive attitude.
- Strong follow-up skills.
- Must have excellent “people” skills with strong customer service attitude.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Self starter with a strong work ethic.
- Must be able to work without supervision and must be self motivated.
- Ability to integrate rapidly with an existing team.
- Basic understanding of our industry.
- Reliability, dependability, and honesty a must.
- Some college coursework preferred.
- Minimum of one year collections experience in our industry.
- Working knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Must work well under pressure to meet monthly goals.
JOB DESCRIPTION 8
- The Debt Collector protects and recovers the organization’s assets.
- Prevents or minimizes losses.
- Controls delinquent balances.
- Collects delinquent accounts.
- Uncovers fraud.
- Supports legal action.
- Follows the law scrupulously.
- Is dedicated to lifelong learning and enhances our company’s reputation.
- Communication skills are key in this position.
- Speak clearly and effectively in a variety of settings and situations.
- Be able to build rapport with customers while maintaining a professional tone.
- Communicate effectively with managers and peers as part of a team.
- Minimum 1 year of previous collections experience.
- Familiarity with compliance issues for state and federal regulations.
- Ability to distinguish priorities and meet deadlines.
- An approach that embodies persistence, focus, and professionalism.
JOB DESCRIPTION 9
- The Debt Collector will initiate customer contact and evaluate customers’ financial situations.
- Professionally negotiates for full payment or creates terms for repayment.
- Will skip-trace to find and collect on delinquent accounts.
- May work on special projects, or be required to compose written documents and perform collateral analysis.
- Make 200-300 calls each day to our customers.
- Uses the auto-dial system to initiate customer contact.
- Work with the customer to get their car payment made.
- Use skip trace when needed to find additional customer contact information.
- Document information from various sources within the company’s computer systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Service, or sales experience.
- Proven track record of successful collections or relevant experience a plus.
- Excellent problem solver, with ability to prioritize.
- Adept at navigating various computer applications.
- Proven ability to multi-task.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Stable work history.
- High School Diploma or GED; or at least 5 years of collections experience required.
- 4 years of college or equivalent preferred
- 1 year or more of collections.
JOB DESCRIPTION 10
Our company is looking for dynamic professionals who are self-motivated, trustworthy and can quickly adapt to change in a fast-paced environment. Qualified Debt Collector candidates will support and promote a positive work atmosphere. Teamwork is essential to our success and we are looking for individuals who demonstrate caring, compassion and ability to get along with others.
- Make outbound and receive inbound calls via an Auto Dialer or manual calling to gather or clarify information.
- Accurately document all information pertaining to accounts.
- Prepare and/or process documents; review for accuracy and completeness; update information and/or evaluate against policy; compare elements for consistency or logical relationship, etc.
- Perform investigative activities to evaluate and determine the whereabouts of customers through database searches and system records (Skip-Tracing).
- Receive research and respond to incoming questions; provide information, explain policies and procedures, and/or facilitate a resolution.
- Review, process and verify accounts and account balances.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Read, interpret and apply federal, state and local collection laws, rules, regulations and company policies and procedures.
- Interact with internal and external customers in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact and professionalism.
- Ability to negotiate with customers.
- Conduct every call according to the call model.
- Possess investigative techniques and processes to identify the true reason for delinquency to aid in one call resolution.
- Use basic math to solve problems.
- Communicate clearly, concisely and effectively both verbally and written.
- Listen to and understand information and ideas as presented both verbally and written.
- Ability to follow written and/or verbal instructions.
- Ability to adapt to change and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Minimum 2 years experience in unsecured or sub-prime debt collections is preferred.
- Must have skip-tracing experience.
- Bi-lingual is a plus.
Back to Debt Collector Job Descriptions