Below are actual job descriptions for debt collectors posted by companies that need collection assistance with their business customers.
JOB DESCRIPTION 1
- The Debt Collector provides financial, clerical and administrative services to ensure efficient, timely and accurate payment of accounts under their realm of responsibility while adhering to company policies and procedures.
- The Debt Collector will address collection/accounts receivable issues and assist with special projects based on departmental goals and objectives.
- Ensure effective decisions are made when it comes to releasing customer orders.
- Demonstrates the right judgment that is within authority while releasing and holding orders.
- Participate with Sales in all aspects ensuring the credit terms are suitable in meeting management’s objectives and the credit/collections policy.
- Capable of establishing as well as reviewing credit limits for all accounts.
- Resolve complex issues.
- Work with internal and external customers for improvements in cash application, as well as collections and processing of credits.
- Demonstrate a positive working relationship with departments to accomplish the goals and objectives of the company.
- Business acumen, cross functional competence, excellent interpersonal skills and strong analytical abilities.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet assigned deadlines.
- High integrity and ethical standards.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer savvy with strong skills in Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance required.
- 3-5 years of experience in Accounts Receivable.
- Experience in a fast-paced changing business environment.
JOB DESCRIPTION 2
- Monitor and resolve invoice discrepancies.
- Preparation and submission of customer invoices.
- Collecting unpaid invoices.
- Some administrative duties.
- Accounts Receivable / Collections experience.
- Experience in our Industry preferred, but not required.
- Strong work ethic.
- Ability to accomplish goals and tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Strong problem resolution and interpersonal skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Time management and ability to multi task.
- Ability to adapt in a fast paced environment.
- Very Detail Oriented.
- Strong Team Building Skills.
JOB DESCRIPTION 3
- Experience working with high volume, large business accounts.
- Strong cash posting, cash reconciliation, analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Previous experience with a large ERP system.
- Strong knowledge of Excel and all MS Office products.
- Collections experience.
- Cash Posting.
- Cash reconciliation.
- Excellent communication skills.
JOB DESCRIPTION 4
- Collection activity of assigned trade accounts receivable.
- Makes independent decisions, including follow-up on payment commitments made by customers.
- Makes recommendations to Management on agreements relating to necessary
- Systematic documentation of all daily collection activities is required.
- Functions as the primary customer contact for all collection related activities.
- Formulates collection strategies to ensure timely customer payments.
- Reviews and works to resolve AR delinquencies within assigned area of responsibility, including internal/external escalation to senior management as may be required.
- Will provide timely response to all customers inquires.
- Will prepare statements and other supporting documentation as necessary to generate prompt customer payments and manage AR portfolio including customer refunds.
- Must possess Bachelors Degree and business experience or equivalent combination of education & business experience preferably in Credit Collection.
- Must have demonstrated ability to communicate effectively through verbal interactions with both internal/ external customers.
- Must possess strong ability to effectively communicate through written correspondence, through presentations and in all situations requiring negotiation or direct customer interface.
- Requires strong knowledge of collection procedures.
- Must possess strong ability to create and maintain account relationships while effectively managing all past due account balances within assigned area of collection responsibility.
- Ability to work occasional overtime as required to meet business objectives
JOB DESCRIPTION 5
The Debt Collector is responsible for tracking and resolving outstanding payment issues, including collection activities such as sending follow-up inquiries, negotiating with past due accounts, maintaining records and referring accounts to collection agencies.
- Make collection calls.
- Prepare and maintain various reports.
- Maintain an accurate aging report.
- Maintain up-to-date records in system.
- Collection and allocation of payments.
- Carry out billing, collection and reporting activities according to specific deadlines.
- Reconciliation of accounts.
- Monitor client account details for non payments, delayed payments and other irregularities.
- Follow established procedures for processing credit applications, adjustments, checks, etc.
- Investigate and resolve customer queries.
- Communicate with internal personnel and clients via phone, email, mail or personally.
- Submit delinquent accounts to collections, as needed.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- 1-3 years accounts receivable collections and general accounting experience.
- Experience in our Industry preferred.
- Knowledge of general accounting principals.
- Must be proficient with Excel.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask.
- Have a high level of attention to detail.
- Have excellent communication (both written and over the phone) skills.
JOB DESCRIPTION 6
- The Debt Collector will effectively provide subject matter expertise in managing multi-million dollar account portfolios.
- Will initiate customer contact.
- Will coordinate with sales and other departments/divisions in the resolution of disputes that affect the ability to collect receivables.
- Will utilize industry best practices to conduct root cause analysis in order to identify underlying issue(s).
- Contacts customers by phone according to priority list in software program.
- Updates software program with accurate and detailed information regarding collections status.
- Follows established processes to ensure customers comply with contractual payment terms.
- Negotiates with customers, when applicable, in order to protect company’s best interests.
- Analyzes trends and makes suggestions to improve processes that increase overall departmental efficiency.
- Preempts potential problems and provides effective solutions in reaction to application of concepts, techniques, knowledge or processes.
- Escalate collections issues to Management/Sales in a timely manner when necessary.
- Meets individual monthly cash collections targets.
- Meets individual monthly aged debt targets.
- Meets individual daily average call targets.
- Adheres to the appropriate company collection plan as outlined by management.
- Identifies and recommends system enhancements, process changes to improve collection effectiveness.
- Records collection activity and related notes in collection system as directed.
- Directs customers to appropriate systems to pull invoice copies and supporting documentation
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Typically requires BS/BA in related discipline and 2-5 years experience in related field or MS/MA and generally 1-3 years of experience in related field.
- Intermediate-level professional contributor.
- Must be able to effectively communicate via phone and email.
- Prior Intermediate Microsoft Excel experience is required.
- Professional certification is required in some areas.
- Prior Commercial collections experience is strongly preferred.
- This position will require Microsoft Excel and Collections Writing sample assessments.
JOB DESCRIPTION 7
This position is responsible for notifying and/or locating customers with delinquent balances, in an attempt to secure payment and maintain customer goodwill. The Debt Collector confers with customers in an attempt to determine the reason for the past due payment, at the same time reviewing the terms of the sales, service, or credit contract with customer. The Debt Collector also records information about the financial status of the customer and the status of collection efforts into he tsoftware system on a timely basis and maintains these notes are current.
- Review customer status and make collection calls based upon corporate policies and procedures.
- Respond to incoming calls from internal and external customers within 24 hours.
- Identify and resolve disputes according to company standards.
- Negotiate payment schedules.
- Enter detailed conversation notes into customers account.
- Research unidentified payments.
- Perform account maintenance.
- Maintain data integrity.
- Determine the credit status of each account.
- Determine when delinquent accounts should be sent to third party and prepares file for placement.
- Provide monthly reports and analysis of portfolio for management.
- All other functions as assigned.
- High School diploma. Bachelors Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 6-8 years relevant collections experience; including third party.
- Ability to work proactively, independently and decisively.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve negotiate and reason.
- Capacity to remain calm in conflict filled conversations.
- Experience with collection software.
- Good organization skills and follow up.
- Knowledge of accounting and collections procedures.
- Clear and pleasant phone presence.
- Ability to communicate and interact with high level Management personnel.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel (intermediate to advanced), PowerPoint and other Microsoft Office Suite products.
JOB DESCRIPTION 8
- Perform collection activities.
- Implement collection process improvement programs.
- Make collection calls on past due accounts and follow up with appropriate correspondence and documentation to customers.
- Maintain consistent and acceptable Days Sales Outstanding (DSO).
- Monitor customer payment history.
- Work with other credit department and business unit personnel to investigate and resolve any discrepancies.
- Respond to customer inquiries (internal/external).
- Support business units throughout the processing cycle and at month-end close.
- Contribute to the smooth running of the department and company by performing other tasks as required
- Minimum of high school education and 1-2 years credit experience.
- Experience with an automated accounts receivable system.
- Experience in our industry a plus.
- Communication – Expresses ideas clearly, concisely and effectively; listens to and responds appropriately to others.
- Possesses good analytical skills, and has the ability to apply these skills to solve problems and resolve issues.
- Computer – Has solid PC skills, and is proficient in the use of applications in the Microsoft Office suite.
- Has operated in an automated accounts receivable and general ledger environment.
- Teamwork – Works effectively within the department and across departments, as a pro-active team member; works with co-workers to accomplish organizational and service goals.
- Motivation – Self-starter willing to pro-actively assist others when necessary in completing department and SS daily/weekly/monthly activities.
- Accounting – Has the basic knowledge of accounting policies and is able to apply these policies to a collection function.
JOB DESCRIPTION 9
The overall goal of the Debt Collector is to keep track of customer accounts that are overdue and attempt to collect payment and reconcile them.
- Places outbound collection calls to customers to collect payments owed to the company.
- Serves as a focal point for all aspects of the collections side of the cash flow process; timely collection of accounts receivable, resolving customer billing problems and reducing accounts receivable delinquency.
- Reviews open accounts for collection efforts and make decisions on pending orders and extending additional credit.
- Researches payment issues involving disputes, pricing and credits that have or may result in delinquent balances and resolves issues quickly to prevent further aging of delinquent balances.
- Works with Accounts Payable department to ensure payment is not made to vendors who are also customers in arrears on the A/R side as well as performance of check swaps, contras and offsets.
- Administers Order Release process determining release decisions for account responsibilities up to assigned dollar threshold and ensuring determination is made for orders over the threshold.
- Identifies accounts that may present a business credit risk, require credit hold, or outside collection.
- Records information about financial status of customer and documents status of collection efforts, keeping sales representatives aware of account status.
- Provides monthly projection for cash receipts from assigned accounts and regular status of performance of collections.
- Detail oriented.
- Strong analytical skills.
- The ability to resolve problems in a positive way.
- The ability to development strong working relationships.
- 5+ years of commercial collections experience.
- Proficient knowledge of collections software.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Windows and Microsoft Office (Excel and Word) proficiency required.